Earlier this year, Ms Midge hosted another charm swap and this time for Anna Maria Horner charms! I’ve done two other of Melissa’s charm alongs, the first for Kate Spain charms, and the second with Bonnie and Camille charms. For both of those quilts, I’d cut pieces up and set them amongst a background fabric. I didn’t want to do that this time because I didn’t want to cut into the prints and how could I decide on one single colour that would show off all of the colours in AMH’s fabrics?!
Result: why pick one colour, when I can have all of them?!
Lately, I have been loving the Grunge Basics range of “solids”. Grunge Basics are from Basic Grey who design for Moda and put a spin on a plain solid as they have a grungey effect over the plain colour. It makes the plain colours look really scrummy. I used these same colours before in my Disney Mini Quilt Swap mini which I had a charm pack for. The ones I used in this quilt were from a layer cake.
After cutting out my strips from the layer cake, I wish I had been a little smarter about my use of them. I cut 1 1/2″ strips, but had I been smarter, I should have cut 2″ strips, or even 2 1/2″. That’s because I would a) end up with a slightly bigger quilt and b) I’d have less little scraps leftover from the layer cake since both 2 and 2 1/2 are divisible by 10 and 1 1/2 is not! So now I have little coloured scraps to use up somehow!
The pattern idea I found when looking for AMH projects to pin on pinterest for the Anna Maria Horner mini swap. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was perfect for my charms! Since I wasn’t working from a pattern, I struggled a bit with figuring out the on point setting and the weird sizes so had a few casualties. And then of course just now when trying to find that pinterest link, one of the links on my homepage is tips on how to figure out on point setting measurements!
The mistake I made above, I started the row too ‘early’ when attaching it so it didn’t end up going end to end properly so was a measly 1″ out. Which should have been obvious to me while I was trying to meet the seams… So I had to unpick the whole row to move it over 1″. Then because I messed up some of the sizes of those end triangles, I had to re-do a couple so they reached the ends of the quilt, but that allowed me to add in a few charms of Folk Song which arrived at the same time adding to the number of lines featured in the quilt!
There were 111 different prints from the charm swap, and I added a number of my own to bring the quilt up to size. At a guess there’s maybe 130 different prints? Possibly more! I prefer to stare at all the colours over counting the fabrics though ;) I think there’s at least one piece from each line as well, but I’m not 100% sure!
For my backing, I used up some of my Anna Maria Horner linens from Field Study. I was almost going to destash these because they’ve been hanging around since I don’t really have a use for them. I used a little bit going on 18 months ago for a small basket and that’s it! Then I decided that using them as a backing would be a great use of them for a Sew My Stash project!
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep backing lined up straight? As you can see, I fail at it! I table baste, and have tried the ‘mark the middle of the table and fumble around for it to match it up’ method but that gets tricky because the same table I also use for cutting (I have to take everything off the table to baste, and having marker – like a coin – gets bumpy with my cutting mat). Generally, I also usually lay everything out on the floor first to line it up and then carry it over to the table rather than lay it out piece by piece. I should probably change my methods. I would actually like to try board basting.
I quilted it with a stipple pattern and ended up using a variegated grey and white thread in 50wt (from Tula Pink’s Aurifil Thread Box). I chose it because in my other Anna Maria Horner quilt I used a coloured variegated thread (blue through to red/pink; from the Tula thread collection also) and it stands out a lot on the black triangles and I’ve been finding myself to prefer it when thread blends. With such variance in colours in AMH’s fabrics it’s a hard balance to find since there are so many lights and darks, but I didn’t want the random colours to stick out like a sore thumb so I played the safe choice of the grey. But then a dark grey part ended up on a pale yellow square sigh. From a distance you can’t see it though! And of course, I now wish I did use the more coloured thread, because if I don’t use the colourful thread on AMH fabrics, when else will I use it?! I’ll have to make more colourful quilts then, of course!! :D
The binding is actually an AMH voile fabric that I ended up with (purchasing it, not realising it was voile). I’m happy it’s another fabric I can use up out of my stash and I think it works perfectly! I even had enough left over, that I’ve been able to use the rest of it as the binding for my mini swap mini so I haven’t had any go to waste or hang around! I was a little worried about using voile as a binding as it felt so thin, though someone on IG commented it’s stronger than regular cotton as it has a higher thread count so it should work just fine. It frayed like crazy when putting it on though so I’m not going to use voile as a binding again anytime soon!!
The quilt now decorates my lounge room, hanging on the wall behind my couch. I love how it looks against my blue walls and I love being able to stare at it everyday. I constantly look up at it and admire it while on the couch!
This is my first official finish for my Quarter 2 Finish Along goals (#101 on the linkup)!